New podiatry coder needs help

Post New podiatry coder needs help
    Medical Coding Books
    I am new to podiatry coding and unfortunately I'm the only coder in the office so I have no one to guide or even teach me. I have a coding question. My doc goes to nursing homes to provide foot care. If he sees a new patient but does not take vitals or review any other system can he charge for a new patient e/m? Also, if he is doing a neuropathy treatment can he charge an e/m? I'm lost. Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by alimbrogno View Post
    I am new to podiatry coding and unfortunately I'm the only coder in the office so I have no one to guide or even teach me. I have a coding question. My doc goes to nursing homes to provide foot care. If he sees a new patient but does not take vitals or review any other system can he charge for a new patient e/m? Also, if he is doing a neuropathy treatment can he charge an e/m? I'm lost. Please help!
    you can bill for an E/M -IF it is a new patient, ONLY if your doc meets documentation requirements for selected level - a ros is required for new patient e/m

not sure what you mean by neuropathy treatment?

It's an anodyne/synaptic therapy by a machine. I actually went to a McVey Podiatric coding seminar yesterday and found out that a lot of the things this office has been billing for are no/no's by medicare. I have my work cut out for me!

sorry , I have no experience with that neuropathy treatment. In reference to billing your e/m with nailcare, I assumed since you dont know about the G codes you were using the cpt codes, you would not use regular e/m w/ nailcare if you were using g codes, you would use another g code.

G0127
    G0245
    G0246
    G0247

these codes are in your HCPCS book and you can find more information on cms/medicare website.

I sent you private message