AAPC - Back to school

Thread: On-Q Pain Pumps

Las Vegas

Default On-Q Pain Pumps

AAPC: Back to School
    Hey everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone knows what codes to use for an On-Q pain pump that is inserted into the abdomen (for the incisional pain) or the rectal/anal area for p/o pain mgmt? I would love any suggestions.
    Malama pono,

Sundae Yomes

Default On-Q Pain Pump

Hi, my experience has been that there is no reimbursement for this service. There is no CPT code and if anyone else has different information I would appreciate the learning experience. I don't think that even anesthesia practices are reimbursed as this is a facility charge.

Kathy Black, CPC

See thread "coding on-q pump insertion" in the General Surgery forum.

Default ON Q Pain Pump

I sometimes get reimbursed from some of the commercials for procedures of feet/ankle with 28899. I send notes and write on line 19 28899 is cath placement for ON Q Pain Pump. Look for an unlisted code for your body area and you can try. Don't bother with Medicare, Medicaid they won't reimburse. Good Luck!
    Linda CPC

Similar Threads

1. PCA pain pumps
    By denhartman in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
  2. Post-op pain pumps
    By roeschkn in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 03:47 PM
  3. Pain Pumps
    By Cookie2! in forum Medical Coding General Discussion