Since the doctor coded 401.1 (Benign hypertension) and 425.8 (Cardiomyopathy in other diseases classifed elsewhere, I would use codes:
402.10 (Benign hypertensive heart without heart failure) OR 402.11 ( with heart failure) depending on the circumstance.
425.8 ( Cardiomyopathy in other diseases classified elsewhere) as additional code.
The reason why I picked these codes is because the Coding Guidelines in ICD-9-CM under the heading "Hypertension with heart disease" states:
Heart conditions (425.8, 429.0-429.3, 429.8, 429.9) are assigned to a code from category 402 when a casual relationship is stated (due to hypertension) or implied (hypertensive).
Hope this helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join