Your not the lawyer and you shouldn't have to be.
If you look at the first page in ICD-9 under Official ICD-9-CM Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, states that "adherence to these guidelines when assigning ICD-9-CM diagnosis and procedure codes is required under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA). I believe that if they go through the entire document they will find the information they are looking for. Considering the length and the technical jargon, I personally would not even attempt to research it beyond that, due to the fact law is "outside of my scope of practice".
I only word it this way, because that is how I would present it to them. Of course if anyone has something better, by all means please speak up, (I'd love to have a better answer)
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join