AI is for inpatient codes so they would not be needed on initial obs 99218-99220. If the critical care code is the initial visit and they are the admitting doc then I believe it would be correct. Here is what I found on the Medicare website.
To identify the admitting or attending physician who oversees the patient's care while in an inpatient or nursing facility setting
Appended to the initial inpatient hospital visit procedure code
Appended to the initial nursing facility procedure code
Valid for services January 1, 2010 and after
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join