Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alcohol induced seizures?

Default Alcohol induced seizures?
    Medical Coding Books
    Can anyone assist me with a code(s) for alcohol induced seizures? Thanks in advance.

The closest code I could find is 780.39 for seizures NOS because I couldn't find anything for alcohol induced.
    John Meyer, CPC
    Heekin Clinic

Quote Originally Posted by pogiest View Post
    The closest code I could find is 780.39 for seizures NOS because I couldn't find anything for alcohol induced.
    Considered that along with 980.0 (Toxic effect of alcohol)

Thanks

and the 980.0 must be first listed with the seizures secondary and an E codes also for poisoning by alcohol. Check you coding guidelines on poisoning.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

5. Default
    I would use 780.39, 980.0 with the required E codes and 305.00 (Non-dependent alcohol abuse, unspecified pattern of use) as the additional code.
    Last edited by TonyaMichelle; 11-21-2011 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyaMichelle View Post
    I would use 780.39, 980.0 with the required E codes and 305.00 (Non-dependent alcohol abuse, unspecified pattern of use) as the additional code.
    Why are you not using the 980.0 first? If you look in the guidelines under poisoning thisis the firstlisted code. I agree with the addition ofthe 305.00

7. Default
    I agree, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    Why are you not using the 980.0 first? If you look in the guidelines under poisoning thisis the firstlisted code. I agree with the addition ofthe 305.00
    I'm not in agreement with the 305.00. MD only stated "alcohol induced seizures". I can agree with 980.0 toxic effect of alcohol. I'm also on the fence with the E code (poisoning). Unfortunately, I don't have any other documentation to reference.

can i ask why you would not consider this poisoning and alcohol abuse?

I'd not use poisoning code if the physician did not document it as poisoning. Alcohol induce seizure is just not always due to alcohol poisoning and we, as coders, can not make assumption. So we should not use the poisoning codes if it is not documented.

I believe we should assign 780.39 in addition to current alcohol abuse or dependence code, 305.00 or 303.90...whichever is appropriate upon the review of record.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast