Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cpc Test - Can anyone tell me

Default Cpc Test - Can anyone tell me
    Medical Coding Books
    Can anyone tell me if you can have notes in your book when you take the CPC test. I have been studying but wonder if notes are accepted or not ?. I also like to know what is the biggest thing to really look for, i heard the guidelines are very important-anything else. please respond - . MAYBE i am stressing to much but I want to make sure i do everything right and legal so I dont have to retake it. Again the more responds the better hopefully i feel less stress ,Thanks

2. Default
    Notes in your books are allowed. The more notes the better. Toughest for me radiology. Good Luck!

Notes are allowed! Watch for modifiers you can eliminate an answer or two based on if a modifier is required or not!
    Christina Lee Wagner, CPC, CPC-H

Default Cpc
    THANK YOU . I am studying just have hard time on physiology and anatomy part . I have a study guide book by Carol Buck had a cd in it -took the test on it and overall scored an 82 on it. scored low on anatomy but did real well on coding questions hope the cpc is like this study guide -any suggestions on getting by with anatomy part ?

when I tested (in 2004), two women had their books taken from them and had to use books provided by the proctor because there was so many "notes" in their books. In the other testing room, the coders were talking that one of the people in their group had her book taken also.

just thought I'd share that - perhaps it's changed now.....
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

6. Default
    I just recently took my CPC test, and passed (SIGH), and just like you I try to do everything correct, thorough and legal. I talked to my proctor and you are allowed to have notes in your books, but you are not allowed to tape, paste, staple, clip, or hide any papers in your book. And you dont want to be too overbearing with your notes, because your not going to have time to sit and read through half a page of notes.
    So be short and sweet with your notes, believe me, you know more then you think, and in my opinion I would read up on your anatomy and surgery.
    I wish you the best of luck!!

Default cpc
    Thank you. Also are the E/M hard on the exam , are arethey tricky ?

8. Talking Finally a CPC
    E/M questions were not too hard but be sure you know the principles. The most helpful book for me was Principles of CPT Coding. E/M was the most difficult for me to grasp and this book helped me to understand it. It also helps to check/compare the information for the codes in the CPC while studying this book. The answers to practice tests and why they are right or wrong (which they give) also helps.

ABSOLUTELY, make notes in your book that will be key points for you, that you can understand and not only memorize.

Make the most of your time! They say you can take breaks and not lose the time but I think I lost out on previous tries because it's hard for the proctors to keep track and toward the end there is so much confusion and distractions. Bring water and a snack if you need it. I took the exam 4 times and PASSED on the 4th try. I did not get up from that chair once, and only took a little water once and finished 5 mins. before the proctor said "ok, pencils down."

GOOD LUCK! And let us know how you make out.

Wink Exam
    I would like to add that you might want to study your weakest area right before the exam so that it is fresh in your brain. Also, when you are taking the test, go through it and answer all the questions that come easy to you first and then go back after that to the tougher ones. You don't have to answer them in order. That is what I did, and I got done 1/2 before the test was due and passed on the first go round. You'll be fine. Please let us know how you did. Good Luck!!

Jill Tapia, CPC-P

Smile Speed is important!
    You may want to practice on your speed. The exam is timed and looking up codes in the areas you're weakest in may take a little longer. I found that knowing the Guidelines is a big plus! I passed the exam in June 2007. Good Luck!

Sthibo CPC-A
    Last edited by sthibo; 08-02-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: added title

Sally Thibodeaux CCS,CPC,LPN
    Houma,La. Chapter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast