Bilateral knee surgery

1. Post Bilateral knee surgery
    Exam Training Packages
    Im confused on this one because he did both knees on same operative session.

Left knee- synovectomy was performed in all three compartments and chondroplasty in all three compartments.

Right knee- synovectomy done in all three compartments and chondroplasty done in medial and patella compartment only.

Insurance is aetna and i want to send this as 29876 only for left knee and
    g0289, g0289, 29875 for right knee. Not sure if this is correct or if i can also bill the g0289x3 for the left knee. And which modifier to use any suggestions. I did ask the doctor if synovectomy was done for visualization purposes and he said mainly yes.

Quote Originally Posted by amartinez1 View Post
    Im confused on this one because he did both knees on same operative session.

Left knee- synovectomy was performed in all three compartments and chondroplasty in all three compartments.

Right knee- synovectomy done in all three compartments and chondroplasty done in medial and patella compartment only.

Insurance is aetna and i want to send this as 29876 only for left knee and
    g0289, g0289, 29875 for right knee. Not sure if this is correct or if i can also bill the g0289x3 for the left knee. And which modifier to use any suggestions. I did ask the doctor if synovectomy was done for visualization purposes and he said mainly yes.
    I would submit 29876-50 only. Reason being you could try to capture 29877 for the 3rd compartment but you may be "pushing it". You can only report G0289 2 times not 3 as there are only 3 knee compartments and G0289 states "separate" knee compartment. Synovectomy & chondroplasty in same knee compartment bundle. Hope this helps..