The answer lies in the following CPT assistant.
March 1998 page 10
CPT Assistant, March 1998, Volume 03, Issue 8, page 10
Integumentary System, 19125, 19126 (Q&A)
A patient has a breast lesion excised from her left breast and 2 breast lesions excised from the right breast, all 3 lesions with wire localization prior to excision, how would my physician report these services?
From a CPT coding perspective and in the absence of a specific operative note, if a lesion identified by preoperative placement of a radiological marker is excised, then CPT code 19125, Excision of breast lesion identified by preoperative placement of radiological marker; single lesion, would be reported for the first lesion. If more than one lesion identified by preoperative placement of a radiological marker is excised, then code 19126, Excision of breast lesion identified by preoperative placement of radiological marker; each additional lesion separately identified by a radiological marker, would be reported for the excision of each additional lesion.
In this example, if a lesion identified by preoperative placement of a radiological marker is removed from the left breast and 2 lesions identified by preoperative placement of a radiological marker are removed from the right breast, code 19125 would be reported for the lesion on the left breast. CPT code 19125 and 19126 would be reported for the two lesions that were excised on the right breast. It is important to note that the modifier -51, Multiple Procedures, should not be appended to code 19126 as it is an add-on code. As stated in CPT guidelines on page 53 of the 1997 CPT book, add-on codes are exempt from the multiple procedure concept as they are not reported as stand-alone codes.
Hope you get the answer.
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Code Lookup with AAPC Coder
- Coding Data Files
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Code Converter (FREE)
- Other ICD-10 Codes / Resources
- CPT Codes
- HCPCS Codes
- E/M Analyzer (FREE)
- CPT RVU Calculator (FREE)
- Risk Adjustment Search (FREE)
- PQRS Measure Search (FREE)
- Health Plan / Provider Policy Search (FREE)
- MACRA Calculator
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join