AAPC - Back to school
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Employed as entry level coder less than 1mnth after Cert.

Dover Seacoast New Hampshire

AAPC: Back to School
    Quote Originally Posted by msweeney76 View Post
    I applied and interviewed at a major hospital in my state, but didn't get the job. It wasn't about my skills, but rather my credential. Seems as if there is major prejudice in the HIM department against CPCs. The majority are CCS. The manager is a CCS, but isn't prejudiced like the coders under him. I was a very strong candidate, yet, I didn't get the job because of this? I find it funny and strange. LOL
    Meegan, don't take it personally. Facility coding (typically done by AHIMA-credentialled RHITs or CCSs) is very different than the professional-fee coding done by CPCs. Although there are CPCs who work for facilities, they typically do the coding for the employed physicians, or for outpatient services. Our HIM department (separate from the physician coding department that I lead) does employ CPCs, but what they primarily do is to assign ICD-9 codes to already-selected CPT codes from the hosptial departments. They do very little CPT coding, no E&M auditing, nor any billing or denial management. It's not better or worse, it's just different. The CCS and RHIT coders abstract from the entire inpatient chart to determine the DRG, which requires a skill set not taught to CPCs as part of our usual training. I know I wouldn't tackle it with the training I have! Working for a facility as a CPC is great...but your skills need to match the job. Look for Professional-Fee coding positions in the facility...that's where your CPC is invaluable. Good luck!
    Pam Brooks, MHA, CPC, PCS, COC
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Louisville, KY

Thank you for posting a positive message to our recent graduates and those seeking employment. I firmly believe that although our economy struggles, the opportunities are there--they only require us to be extrememly flexible, creative and persistant.

Kevin B. Shields, RHIT, CPCO, CCS, CPC, COC, CCS-P, CPC-P, CPC-I

Default Adam

Adam Congratulations!! God is Great!!!

Congratulations Adam!

I spend a good amount of time inthe forum and I've seen you posting several threads while going through your educaiton and preparing for the exam. I think networking with the coding community and being as dedicated as you have been has been a very positive thing that other new coders should recognize.

Your willingness to share your testimony is also wonderful.

Congratulations and good luck on your new job.

Default T Tucker

Praise God Adam.... very excited for you. I too have prayed throughout the course of my classes, the exam as well. Many have been praying for me. I took the exam and many times had to quickly pray and ask God to help me see the answere clearly through all the wording. I am trusting Him. Having done all just standing and waiting for the results to be posted. You have encouraged me. God Bless ~

Well said. To Go be the glory.

Virginia Beach Local Chapter

Congrats Adam and your story touched me deeply. I am so proud of you for being able to express your feelings and wish all the best in the furture.

AAPC-CA BOD 2015 - 2017
    Region 3: Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, & Kentucky

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!
    -Audrey Hepburn

Thanks Adam,

You are truly a servant. You have really given me goose bumps reading this. It is a joy to receive this inspiration. I recently passed my exam last Wednesday and had a negative and confusing feeling about whether I would gain employment. I began to search for coder positions online but find that they are asking for experience. Are there any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks and congrats to your accomplishment!!!

Amen.. Praise the Lord..God is Good!!! Congratulations from your Sister In Christ

Congratulations Adam!
    I just passed the CPC exam and am hoping to find a job quickly.
    Good luck to you and all that you do!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast