AAPC - Back to school

Thread: help please

Smile help please

AAPC: Back to School
    Dr did an arthroscopic microfracture of a 2.5 cm lesion at the posterior inferior aspect of the humeral head. He also did an Arthroscopic Bankart reconstruction.

I know the 29806 for the Bankart, but what about the microfracture? Would that be
    inclusive to the Bankart? I don't know where to go with this one.
    The report reads:
    Was a large chondral lesion posterior inferior on the humeral head. It was full thickness & measured 2.5 cm x 2.5 cm. I used the anterior portal & used a shaver to remove some of the loose pieces of cartilage. I used the microfracure awls to perforate the subchondral bone for stimulation of bleeding

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am at a loss on this one
    Last edited by scooter1; 12-06-2011 at 08:39 AM.

From what I understand a microfracture of a lesion is repair of the cartilage or removal of loose cartilage. So I would use code 29806 (Bankart's) with :

23107 (Arthrotomy, glenohumeral joint, with joint exploration, with or without removal of loose or foreign body) with modifier -51 for multiple procedures.

Thank you for replying. My only question with your answer is that the microfracture was done arthroscopically. CPT 23107 is an open procedure. Any ideas ?

Correction noted.

I would use 29806 in conjunction with 29819(with removal of loose body or foreign body) with modifier -51 appended.

Even though 29819 is a component of 29806, a modifier is allowed to override.

Beautiful. Thank you so much !