Components of an operative report:
[LIST][*]Preoperative diagnosis - tentative diagnosis before surgery[*]Postoperative diagnosis - diagnosis after the surgery has been performed[*]Surgical procedure - concise statement of the procedure(s) performed[*]Indications for procedure - facts leading up to the decision for the surgery[*]Details of procedure - narrative detailed description of the surgical procedures[*]Signature of surgeon
Common Procedural Terms of Method or Technique:
Also pay attention to the approach for example: Did the surgeon access surgical site throught the umbilical or the thoracic?
Sample of questions to ask yourself to help determine a code (for example, removal of a lesion):
- Was the lesion benign or malignant?
- What technique was used to remove the lesion (laser, excision, or shaving)?
- Where was the lesion?
- Were there any additional procedures performed, such as intermediate wound closure?
- What was the excised diameter (greatest clinical diameter) of the lesion?
I could go on and on but I would probably be typing for hours. Pay strict attention to the guidelines for sequencing and modifiers.
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Code Lookup with AAPC Coder
- Coding Data Files
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Code Converter (FREE)
- Other ICD-10 Codes / Resources
- CPT Codes
- HCPCS Codes
- E/M Analyzer (FREE)
- CPT RVU Calculator (FREE)
- Risk Adjustment Search (FREE)
- PQRS Measure Search (FREE)
- Health Plan / Provider Policy Search (FREE)
- MACRA Calculator
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join