Thread: Work Comp or Auto?

Default Work Comp or Auto?

Promo: Code Books
    We had a patient come in today just after she was in an auto accident. She is a rural carrier for the USPS. She was in her vehicle delivering the mail when she was rear ended.
    So, would this be workers compensation or would this be an auto accident insurance claim?

I can't find anyhting that states which one or if both would be involved. Help please

Quote Originally Posted by Clmd1982 View Post
    We had a patient come in today just after she was in an auto accident. She is a rural carrier for the USPS. She was in her vehicle delivering the mail when she was rear ended.
    So, would this be workers compensation or would this be an auto accident insurance claim?

I can't find anyhting that states which one or if both would be involved. Help please
    Since she was at work I believe that would be the first insurance. They may decide to default to the auto plan, but generally if you are injured while working, even if you are in a private vehicle, then worker's comp takes precedence. And at some point, both may be involved, this will be up to the worker's comp folks to decide.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

Default Work comp or POV

Definitely work comp. If they don't pay then patient's own insurance would cover. I was commuting to a specific job site. Would not have been going there otherwise and had an accident and it was covered by work comp. I was required to go there regardless of vehicle. This patient is required to deliver mail, regardless of vehicle.