The multiple surgery reduction will apply regardless of which modifier you are using. If the codes do not bundle, you should NOT be using the -59 modifier.
Why the reduction?
Because you do not need separate pre- and post-op care for additional procedures performed in the same operative session. Since all reimbursement for procedures includes payment for pre- and post-operative care, there will be a reduction in the payment for the second, third, etc procedures on a claim.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join