The 62 modifier is used when TWO surgeons EACH perform a UNIQUE part of a procedure.
For example, anterior spinal fusion, lumbar - CPT 22558
Frequently a general surgeon will open, displace the organs to provide an approach - then scrub out.
The orthopeadic surgeon will then perform the actual arthrodesis
The general surgeon scrubs back in to replace the organs and close.
Each surgeon dictates his/her own operative note, listing the OTHER surgeon as co-surgeon.
And, each surgeon reports 22558 
This doesn't sound like what you have, but without reading the entire op note(s), it's hard to tell.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join