AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Decision for surgery - My orthopedist was asked to see a new

Default Decision for surgery - My orthopedist was asked to see a new

AAPC: Back to School
    My orthopedist was asked to see a new (to our practice!) Medicare patient in the hospital, admitted from the ER with a left femoral neck fracture. After evaluating the patient and writing a consult note to the hospitalist, he made the decision to do a hemiarthoplasty. I billed as follows:

99232 (57)

Medicare denied the 99232 saying it was included in the pre/post-opcare. Is 99232 the wrong code? Since she was a new patient to us, should I have used something different?

Greater Pittsburgh

why would you use a subsequent hospital care code, if the pt is new to you and a hospitalist admitted and requested your consult you would use 99222-57 (without an AI modifier for admitting the pt. the hospitalist would use the same 99222 with an AI modifier for the admission).
    jdemar, CPC, CMA

I have been so confused about the 99222. THANK YOU for setting me straight !! You have no idea how much I appreciate it !!!!!

Similar Threads

1. Decision for surgery
    By mcamp in forum E/M
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2015, 07:28 PM
  2. Decision for surgery - I have a question
    By tawana76 in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2015, 01:52 PM
  3. Decision for Surgery
    By solocoder in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 3