AAPC - Back to school

Thread: 99211 with therapeutic procedure

Anchorage, Alaska

Default 99211 with therapeutic procedure

AAPC: Back to School
    Can 99211 be billed with cold laser therapy? The cold (low level) laser therapy is part of the treatment plan documented by the provider so it would be incident to. The patient schedules specifically to come in to have the laser treatment and nothing else. The medical assistant performs the therapy. I have read that in order to also bill 99211 that there would need to be a significant separate reason for the 99211. Would it be considered medically necessary to bill both 99211 and 97039 if they have to take blood pressure for pain level monitoring, ask the patient their pain level before and after the treatment and determine whether progress was made or not? (in addition to doing the treatment) If so, what would need to be documented for the 99211 besides the cc, vitals, pain levels, progress and assessment? I would appreciate any help.

Columbia, MO

no the vitals and pain monitoring are an integral part of the procedure so the visit is not significant and separately identifiable so you cannot charge a visit level in addition to the procedure, even a 99211.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Default 99211

i believe this exceeds the intent of a 99211.

Anchorage, Alaska

Default Thanks

That's what I thought but my employer was told otherwise by the salesperson of the laser, as usual. Thanks for your help.