EMR, scanning EOB's

Default EMR, scanning EOB's
    Exam Training Packages
    We are starting to plan for our transition to our new EMR. How do you store your Explanation of Benefits? We are thinking of scanning the EOB's into a searchable PDF, using the date we posted to the patients account. Or should we take the time and scan each EOB into the patient's medical record? Does anyone have a good resource for implementation, staffing changes and organizing scanned documents?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by sjsantjer View Post
    We are starting to plan for our transition to our new EMR. How do you store your Explanation of Benefits? We are thinking of scanning the EOB's into a searchable PDF, using the date we posted to the patients account. Or should we take the time and scan each EOB into the patient's medical record? Does anyone have a good resource for implementation, staffing changes and organizing scanned documents?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    I don't believe it is generally a good idea to have EOBs as part of a medical record. It would seem there would be a separate area for EOBs as they are financial info, not medical info.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

Not sure which emr you are using they are all so different. But we are using EClinicialWorks. I enter each check under payments and then click a button for payment advisory which allows me to scan the EOB and post the payments to the individual accounts. Which then allows me to pull up the payment and the EOB from the patients account Inquiry screen. I would recommend contacting your EMR Support and see if they offer something similar.
    Melissa Fretz, CPC

Our EMR allows us to scan the EOB in the insurance payment (receipt) portion which then allows you to view the EOB from the patients' ledgers. It would be good to ask your vendor if they have something like this.... it is a little more friendly to have it at the click of a button than search threw the filing cabinet if a question arises.