I saw this on Todays Hospitalist, I thought I had seen that the physician has 24 hours, but don't have time at the moment to read all of the CMS guidlines regarding this statement...but it's a start for you, hope it helps.
Duties, billing and documentation
According to the CMS, supervising physicians are responsible for making sure that patients seen by residents receive the same caliber of care as if they were working by themselves. And to bill for a service as a teaching physician, you must personally perform key portions of the service or observe a resident performing those key components.
When supervising, your specific duties include the following:
reviewing the patient's history and physical examination, as performed by the resident;
personally examining the patient within a reasonable period of time after admission, which Medicare guidelines indicate is within 24 hours;confirming or revising the resident's diagnosis;
determining the patient's course of treatment;
frequently reviewing the patient's progress; and
making sure that interns and residents receive the supervision they need.
As far as billing supervised services, Medicare regulations are fairly straightforward: Physicians need to add a -GC modifier to the CPT code they're billing for. That modifier certifies that a teaching physician was present during the key portion of the service and was immediately available during the other parts of the service.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join