Post partum visit by different practice

Default Post partum visit by different practice
    Medical Coding Books
    If a patient comes to our office as a new patient but is here for her 6 week post partum checkup (she was delivered by a different practice), how do I code the post partum visit. It was a routine post partum visit following a stillborn delivery at 23 weeks. Just not sure on modifiers and if I need to forward documentation as to why we are billing for this. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by astough View Post
    If a patient comes to our office as a new patient but is here for her 6 week post partum checkup (she was delivered by a different practice), how do I code the post partum visit. It was a routine post partum visit following a stillborn delivery at 23 weeks. Just not sure on modifiers and if I need to forward documentation as to why we are billing for this. Thanks for the help!
    She had a miscarriage so this is not the same routine post partum visit as would happen after a full term delivery. You would bill a new patient E/M encounter with the appropriate dx codes to why she was there. You would use 656.44 as at least one of the dx codes.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

Similar Threads

1. Pap Smear on Post Partum Visit
    By jortego in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2017, 11:47 AM
  2. Post Partum Visit
    By Beara in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM
  3. Post Partum
    By AYS12 in forum Pathology & Clinical Laboratory