AAPC - Back to school

Thread: New to path. ? about productivity.

Default New to path. ? about productivity.

AAPC: Back to School
    Greetings. I am new to coding and in my first coding job. I was hired by a pathology lab. I am also their first experience with a certified coder. I'm wondering what sort of productivity level I should have for them. Could anyone give me some idea of what a typical sort of productivity would be? I work 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. I am coding strictly surgical pathology reports - no clinical laboratory. About how many lab reports should I be able to code in 4 hours? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by bbooks; 12-17-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to add notification preferences.

I would say 30 an hour

Great. Thanks for the information!

Default Pathology Productivity Revisited!

Hi all, I just happened upon this old post and I'd like to revisit it! Since it's the start of a new year, I was looking at numbers from 2015. Anyone care to share ? Let's talk cases per day or per hour and add some info about other duties, i.e. data entry/filing/follow up for insurance & medical necessity, etc.

Thanks -- this could be interesting!

Hi Megan. I am the one who originally posed this question. When I made my original post, I was working on-site in a pathology lab. My productivity varied quite a bit depending on the types of cases I was coding and the other draws to my time. Coding at this job was done on paper. I would say that after several years on the job I was coding 30-40 cases per hour when I had uninterrupted time. Sometimes more if the cases were not complicated (derm, Pap). In that job I also fielded phone calls from our billing department, sorted paperwork and other clerical jobs, worked on denials, trained new coders, and prepared for ICD-10.

I am now in a new job working remotely, and still coding pathology. In this new job I am using a coding engine that employs CodeRyte technology, which speeds the coding process. Again, the productivity is dependent on the complexity of the cases and the complexity of the coding requirements (often times more tedious for Medicare). In this job I also work the back end of coding in the billing software which double-checks for any potential conflicts and I make corrections where needed. I also interact by email and phone with the physician clients in answering questions and having them help me clarify my coding questions. When I am strictly coding, my coding as a relative newbie to the company is generally between 40 and 50 per hour. I'm told that the average of an experienced coder with this company is about 50 per hour.

Thanks for raising this question again. I hope others jump in. I would be interested to know how others work.