I'm confused too. Is the MMSE a part of the general checklist that the patient fills out when they first establish or reestablish themselves with the physician? I don't see how he can bill this separately from an E/M service done on the same day which he should be the one to predominately perform. I know nurses do MMSE because they do it all the time for long term care insurance companies. It's done in the psych setting all the time. But that is not the same as having a family physician's staff do it and then the physician billing for it separately. What procedure code is he asking you to use? A psychiatric one? Most states won't allow a non-psychiatric practitioner to bill psychiatric codes. Is the MMSE a part of the general checklist that the patient fills out when they first establish or reestablish themselves with a physician? Let me know if I've gone off base.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join