AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Please help-

Saint Paul

Default Please help-

AAPC: Back to School
    So, I have a very perplexing coding dilemma and am hoping for some insight/suggestions.

We were recently referred a client who had been hospitalized for suicide attempt/MDD/OCD.

He was sent straight over to our office upon discharge from the hospital for immediate eval/treatment.

Was initially scheduled with a psychologist, but was then referred by that psychologist to one of our psychiatrists. This was very late on a Friday afternoon; client was seen on an urgent basis.

Client arrived late t the appointment, however our MD saw him on an urgent basis anyway, and then had him come back in the following Wednesday.

When the M.D. wrote the report, he did a single report for both days (ugh!!).

There was a total of 160 minutes spent with this client face to face, who is a very severe case, (and with additional time spent in coordination of care/research on case/reviewing records), I am unsure how to code this. Any ideas?

Also, this client has out of network insurance (double ugh!!) and we were given authorization for 1 99205, however, were not given authorization for an emergent or extended visit.

Please help? Do I code 2 separate visits even though they are technically part of the same eval and are done on the same report? Or do I code for only 1 visit?

-posted in Behavioral Health Forum as well
    Last edited by jcochran; 12-21-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: added "posted in Behavioral Health Forum as well"