27096 2012 Update

Default 27096 2012 Update
    Medical Coding Books
    Hi,

I was hoping to get some insight on the change to 27096 for 2012. This code now includes CT or fluoro guidance, which a number of other codes we use in my clinic have done; I completely understand that part. The part I would like some help with is the directive to "use 20552 if CT or fluoro is not used" beneath the new code description.

Am I completely misreading this??? 27096 is an injection into a JOINT. 20552 is an injection into MUSCLE. Am I wrong in my understanding? The lack of image guidance used shouldn't mean that the basic code description changes. To me, it seems like if guidance isn't used, 20610 (injection into a major joint or bursa) would be the appropriate code to use.

I have searched for an answer every way I can think of; would really appreciate any insight anyone can give!!
    Meagan Strauss, CPC, CEMC
    Coding Coordinator
    The NeuroMedical Center
    Baton Rouge, LA

2. Default
    I sat in on a webinar a couple of weeks ago and this is what was given to us:

27096 SI injection procedure for SI joint w/ guidance (fluoro or CT) including arthrography so the imaging is bundled.

States if you did without imaging it is considered a trigger point injection 20552 which is different from the previous recommendations of 20610. They state if you don't use imaging you can't confirm you are in the 'joint' so it's a trigger point!

Hope this helps!

Kris
    COSC

Quote Originally Posted by xxOlliexx View Post
    I sat in on a webinar a couple of weeks ago and this is what was given to us:

27096 SI injection procedure for SI joint w/ guidance (fluoro or CT) including arthrography so the imaging is bundled.

States if you did without imaging it is considered a trigger point injection 20552 which is different from the previous recommendations of 20610. They state if you don't use imaging you can't confirm you are in the 'joint' so it's a trigger point!

Hope this helps!

Kris
    COSC
    Thanks so much!! That explains it....but raises the question of why the joint injection codes even exist if you don't confirm you're in there...go figure

Meagan Strauss, CPC, CEMC
    Coding Coordinator
    The NeuroMedical Center
    Baton Rouge, LA