AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Admit / Discharge Same Date of Service

Default Admit / Discharge Same Date of Service

AAPC: Back to School
    I would like to know if anyone else has ever come across this scenario - and been paid for it!

We discharge a patient from medical service and bill a 99238 with mod-25. Then we re-admit that patient on the same day to the rehab unit and bill an admit code with a different place of service.

We have several payors that will not pay us for the d/c.

Can anyone help me? I would appreciate it!!

Greeley, Colorado

When you say rehab, are you referring to a SNF? Are you using the Initial Nursing Facility Care codes (99304 - 99306)? It's been a long time since I've been involved in this scenario but that's what we did at a previous office I worked at, and as far as I know there were no problems. Then again, that was a while back...

NCF Gainesville

You are allowed to bill a d/c from a hospital and an admit to a SNF on the same day. As far as to rehab, not really sure because I know we bill to some rehab centers that are still considered inpatent hospital and not SNF. Depends what the facility is considered I guess.
    Jeni Smith, CPC, CPMA

No - its not a SNF - It is only a rehab floor in the hospital for which one of my docs does admissions - they are being d/c from the regular floor to rehab and we aren't getting paid for both services even with a modifier.......

Just wanted to know if anyone experienced the same thing! Thanks for your help!

Thank you for your response. Good Luck with your test!!

Similar Threads

1. Service date vs admit date
    By hollys in forum Inpatient Facilities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2015, 11:17 AM
  2. Admit/Discharge on Same Date - or Transfer To Another Unit
    By ABridgman in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 11:02 AM
  3. Billing date of service versus date report was read?
    By tawnyagarrett in forum Cardiology
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 08:53 PM
  4. Admit/Discharge Same Date - 2 physicians
    By CrysLednum in forum E/M
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 08:13 AM
  5. Admit/Discharge with prolong service
    By Gemini18 in forum E/M
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 08:16 AM