Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Whinning new coders? I was shocked.

Medical Coding Books
    I've been following this post and it's been quite interesting. May I share things from a doctor's point of view? First some background, I teach medical billing at a local community college and have had a doctor friend speak with my students. I didn't know what she was going to say, but asked her to speak to them from an employers persepctive and tell them what she was looking for in an employee.

The first thing she said was that she would NOT hire a new coder fresh out of school. She said the same thing that Chris said, "time=money" and she does have enough of either to get a new coder up to speed, she needs people who can "hit the ground running" (her words). She told the class that she does not have time to keep up with all the regulation changes and audits, that is why she has a coder/biller. She has alot of respect for coders/billers, but after interviewing recent graduates she found that they were not prepared for the highly regulated system that medicine has become. (Before all you new coders get mad, you should know that she works with a couple of different schools and offers internships in her office so she is very much aware of what is being taught.) She also told them that the majority of her colleagues feel the same way. She did have the same advice that many seasoned coders in this forum have expressed, take whatever job you can to get a foot in the door, work hard and show interest in helping out and learning new things. She pointed out to them, the front desk person checking in patients needs to know what insurance the office participates with, who needs referrals or auths and some of the insurance rules. Her comment was that all revenue starts at the front desk. She also felt that the market has been overwhelmed with new coders who will have a tough time gaining the needed experience.

I did not know she felt this way until she spoke to my class, but it was an eye opener. So to all of you who feel your education is being wasted, take it from the doc - do what you can to get your foot in the door.

2. Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock1 View Post
    I'm not gonna lie...it was a LOT harder than I had anticipated - it's the first time I took the whole 5 hours & 40 minutes to finish. I didn't consider that: with coding exams, 90% of the test questions can be found in your manuals, if you know where to look. Not so, with this exam - you either know it, or you don't, and even if you do have it in your resources, you've still got to be able to locate it.

Personally, I'd buy the practice test, but not the study guide. It was basically a Cliff's Notes of this: http://oig.hhs.gov/compliance/compli...ance/index.asp
    Plus, a little bit over OSHA, CLIA, HIPAA, PPACA, Qui Tam, the Federal Sentencing Guidelines, and more specific info over CMS rules and regs (most of which can be found here: http://www.cms.gov/home/regsguidance.asp)

The study guide has some issues - it's full of opinions, and not facts, and many of the 'test your knowledge' quizzes were random, in relation to the material discussed in the chapter. Read the OIG's Compliance Guidance for Individual and Small Group Practices, Hopitals, and Third Party Billing Companies about 5 times each, and you should have enough to almost pass the exam off of that alone. There was still other stuff, but it's listed out under the AAPC's 'additional preparation methods' link.
    Brandi,
    thank you for the information on the test. I appreciate it!
    Theresa CCS-P CPMA CCC ICDCT-CM

I know I am late coming in on this conversation but I whole-heartedly agree with the dclark7's post...do what you can to get your foot in the door. I got my Associate's Degree in Medical Billing and Coding then completed the certification classes from AAPC. I even started my Bachelor's Degree in Health Administration but circumstances at the time deemed that I should only complete a year of the degree.

I sent out every resume I could and I was beginning to regret going into coding because no one even wanted to talk to me unless I have the dreaded word...experience! I sent resume's to Alaska, Montana, Kansas, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, South Carolina....you name it, I sent them. I finally did get a job working as a front desk receptionist and that was a wonderful experience.

I count myself very fortunate that I now have a wonderful job working for a Cardilogy Group but I have to say that it took taking what ever job I could in the medical field, including working as a temp in the business office doing soft collections. Yes, collections but every bit of learning does help.

AND, so much counts on how you present yourself, your work ethics and persistance. Because I did not have the experience I was going to be passed up for someone who did, but my boss at that time was called as a job reference and what got me the job was the above mentioned things.

Take whatever job you can to get you closer to your goal. And never spoke or regret your education.

4. Default
    I appreciate all the advice given in this thread. I won't give up!

5. Default Hello to Dear Arlene J. Smith, President AAPC Tacoma WA Chapter
    Dear Arlene J. Smith,
    As you are the President, AAPC Tacoma WA Chapter, could you help me to find a opportunity to work as internship or externship , or volunteer? I am a new CPC-A, no on the job experience,but I had over 1000 case practices, I konw it is difficult to find a coding job for new CPC-A, that is why I prefer to start my coding career from externship. My family will move to near Seattle soon, that is why I am willing to find an externship opportunity in your area. Currently , I live in Detroit Area, I will move soon . Thank you very much in advance.
    CatherineYue

Quote Originally Posted by YueQu View Post
    Dear Arlene J. Smith,
    As you are the President, AAPC Tacoma WA Chapter, could you help me to find a opportunity to work as internship or externship , or volunteer? I am a new CPC-A, no on the job experience,but I had over 1000 case practices, I konw it is difficult to find a coding job for new CPC-A, that is why I prefer to start my coding career from externship. My family will move to near Seattle soon, that is why I am willing to find an externship opportunity in your area. Currently , I live in Detroit Area, I will move soon . Thank you very much in advance.
    CatherineYue
    Catherine, I am now the Past-President of the Tacoma chapter which is about 40 miles south of Seattle, but I am always willing to help where I can. The Seattle area is very large and there are a number of large medical facilities. Depending on where exactly you end up, I would start with one of the larger organizations like; University of Washington Medical Center, Providence Medical Center, Swedish Medical Center, Polyclinic, Minor and James Medical Center. Those are several in the main Seattle area. If you end up in an outlying area there are others. Let me know when you have chosen what area you are going to be living in.
    Arlene
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

Catherine,

Also contact Multicare (it is in Tacoma, however). I know that they were allowing externs and helping them with coding. However, this was 3 years ago and may have changed but it won't hurt to try it. I'll try and check with some friends who are still working there.
    Cyndi Allen, CPC, CIRCC
    2015 Local Chapter President, Casa Grande, AZ

8. Default Cyndi Allen, Thank you very much for your message.
    Hi, Cyndi Allen,
    Thank you very much for your kind help. I just found your message, because I am not familar with this AAPC web system.
    Currently , my family(only my husband and me) has decided to move to Seattle area,
    My husband is experienced IT senior engineer(PHD), he is looking for Seattle area job, I think it is not difficulty to find a job in Seattle area for him, that is why I want to find an externship in Seattle area. If there is someone who will accept me to work as externship, may be I will come first, no matter which Seattle area, I could set my living location near externship location.
    Thank you again for your time! I will try to contact Muticare.
    Catherine

9. Default Arlene J. Smith, Thank you very much for you message!
    Hi,Arlene J. Smith,
    Thank you very much for your kind help. I just found your message, because I am not familar with this AAPC web system.
    Currently , my family(only my husband and me) has decided to move to Seattle area,
    My husband is experienced IT senior engineer(PHD), he is looking for Seattle area job, I think it is not difficulty to find a job in Seattle area for him, that is why I want to find an externship in Seattle area. Let me discuss with my husband, which area where he will let me go to, may be I will come first, no matter which Seattle area, I could set my living location near externship location.
    Thank you again for your time!

Catherine

Default we all had to start somewhere
    I have been coding multispecialty for about 14 years now and I really do not appreciate when senior coders act superior and look down at new coders just because they have more experience, have they all forgotten that they were in the same spot at one time of their lives? They were not expert coders either when they all started out so I think for those of us who have more experience we need to be patient with the newer coders and share the knowledge we have with them without making them feel inferior.
    Jenifer McPolin CPC, CPMA, RCC

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast