Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Help! I have NO idea what I'm doing!

Default Help! I have NO idea what I'm doing!
    Medical Coding Books
    For all of you hiring managers out there...I'm trying to put together my resume, and am in desperate need of advice, because I don't have any idea what I'm doing.

Confession: I've never really had any job experience worth putting on a resume before my current job, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to include/not include. Everything I know about making a resume, comes from articles I've read on Monster and CareerBuilder (which isn't very much, I might add).

Pretty much all I could think to do, was list out the things I've accomplished since I've been here - since that's probably the only way that I'll be able to overcome not having a college degree, and only 4 years in healthcare, to get the kind of job I'm hoping for. I've attached what I've got so far.

I could really use some pointers, from the people who look at these the most often:
    What's missing - or do I have too much there? (Aside from formatting stuff - I'll tweek that once I've got all of the info on it) Any suggestions are welcome...
    If my resume came across your desk (hypothetically - I'm not trying to apply for anything at the moment), what kind of position would you consider a 'good fit' for me?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - I guess I should mention, that PNS is a large practice management org., with over 125 providers of various specialties, in nearly 50 locations. That might be helpful to know...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by btadlock1; 12-27-2011 at 09:50 AM.

There was a good article on Yahoo earlier this month about resumes' and it basically stated to keep it simple. Leave out the objective alltogether it should be obvious since you are applying for the job. Your bullets points are way too detailed. compress everything down to one page, I did not even read the second page as I figured I had all I needed to know and then some. I do not need specifics regarding accomplishements, just keep it general. You wrote succesful appeals, you helped to revise payer edits.. that kind of thing short and simple and one page total. I would hire you but based on what is here I go with entry level. However if you change it ever so slightly then it may look more management worthy.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Quote Originally Posted by btadlock1 View Post
    For all of you hiring managers out there...I'm trying to put together my resume, and am in desperate need of advice, because I don't have any idea what I'm doing.

Confession: I've never really had any job experience worth putting on a resume before my current job, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to include/not include. Everything I know about making a resume, comes from articles I've read on Monster and CareerBuilder (which isn't very much, I might add).

Pretty much all I could think to do, was list out the things I've accomplished since I've been here - since that's probably the only way that I'll be able to overcome not having a college degree, and only 4 years in healthcare, to get the kind of job I'm hoping for. I've attached what I've got so far.

I could really use some pointers, from the people who look at these the most often:
    What's missing - or do I have too much there? (Aside from formatting stuff - I'll tweek that once I've got all of the info on it) Any suggestions are welcome...
    If my resume came across your desk (hypothetically - I'm not trying to apply for anything at the moment), what kind of position would you consider a 'good fit' for me?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - I guess I should mention, that PNS is a large practice management org., with over 125 providers of various specialties, in nearly 50 locations. That might be helpful to know...
    What we learned in a recent meeting which covered this kind of stuff is, keep it simple and brief on your resume. Resumes should be no more than one to two pages in length. Highlight your experience, education and accomplishments as it relates to the position you are applying for. (The example you provided in the middle of your resume would probably be better included on a cover letter than on your resume.) Always send a cover letter that provides more detail about what you can bring to the company or department you are applying to. Under "Objective" mine always says "To continue to grow in knowlege and experience in the field of medical coding." So something along those lines usually works.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    There was a good article on Yahoo earlier this month about resumes' and it basically stated to keep it simple. Leave out the objective alltogether it should be obvious since you are applying for the job. Your bullets points are way too detailed. compress everything down to one page, I did not even read the second page as I figured I had all I needed to know and then some. I do not need specifics regarding accomplishements, just keep it general. You wrote succesful appeals, you helped to revise payer edits.. that kind of thing short and simple and one page total. I would hire you but based on what is here I go with entry level. However if you change it ever so slightly then it may look more management worthy.
    Thanks!
    I took a bunch of stuff out - better now, or take out more?
    Last edited by btadlock1; 12-27-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Oops - forgot to delete the objective

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    What we learned in a recent meeting which covered this kind of stuff is, keep it simple and brief on your resume. Resumes should be no more than one to two pages in length. Highlight your experience, education and accomplishments as it relates to the position you are applying for. (The example you provided in the middle of your resume would probably be better included on a cover letter than on your resume.) Always send a cover letter that provides more detail about what you can bring to the company or department you are applying to. Under "Objective" mine always says "To continue to grow in knowlege and experience in the field of medical coding." So something along those lines usually works.
    Thank you very much! I attached a second version on a reply...if you can, let me know what your thoughts are...

Quote Originally Posted by btadlock1 View Post
    Thanks!
    I took a bunch of stuff out - better now, or take out more?
    I would condense this just a bit and rephrase try to keep 3 bullets though
    * Drafted (100's of )successful appeals (for various payers' coding, and coverage denials, )(in addition to ) [assisted with]reimbursement issues stemming from patient plan benefits, medical necessity denials.
    *(On at least 2 occasions, )my appeals have directly contributed to a payer changing their scrubbing software's edits,( due to inaccurate denial rationale, that I was able to identify.)
    * I (found) [identified] and resolved numerous other payer contract and fee schedule issues,( through Provider Relations representatives, including a single instance of underpayments on E/M codes, which spanned a year-long timeframe - the net amount repaid, totaled over $10,000.)

I would take out the part in the parenthesis and add the red, and honestly I still did not read the second page.
    I hope you do not think I am being harsh. I am just honestly giving you my opinion as one that has been in the hiring position and read numerous resumes over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    I would condense this just a bit and rephrase try to keep 3 bullets though
    * Drafted (100's of )successful appeals (for various payers' coding, and coverage denials, )(in addition to ) [assisted with]reimbursement issues stemming from patient plan benefits, medical necessity denials.
    *(On at least 2 occasions, )my appeals have directly contributed to a payer changing their scrubbing software's edits,( due to inaccurate denial rationale, that I was able to identify.)
    * I (found) [identified] and resolved numerous other payer contract and fee schedule issues,( through Provider Relations representatives, including a single instance of underpayments on E/M codes, which spanned a year-long timeframe - the net amount repaid, totaled over $10,000.)

I would take out the part in the parenthesis and add the red, and honestly I still did not read the second page.
    I hope you do not think I am being harsh. I am just honestly giving you my opinion as one that has been in the hiring position and read numerous resumes over the years.
    I don't think you're being harsh at all - constructive criticism is exactly what I need, here! I didn't think that it really did have a second page anymore - on my screen, all of the words had condensed to 1 page, but Word may have left the second page on there (blank) anyways. Thanks, again!

The auditing and volunteering is on page 2 on my screen. you might try to convert to PDF if you can since most everyone can read PDF files. I use Apple so when I convert from word it does move things around a bit. However I find that when I convert everything to PDF , then everyone can open and read my files.

Default Okay...it's MUCH shorter now...
    I've taken your suggestions and made some adjustments...here's the newest version:

I think it looks awesome! It reads much better and you look 4 times more professional in it. It definitely says more than entry level now. I would be interested in how others feel. But that is my opinion.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast