Thread: multiple toenail removal

Default multiple toenail removal

Promo: Code Books
    When 3 toenails are removed, do I need to use any other modifiers besides the toe modifiers?
    11750-T1
    11750-T2
    11750-T7
    Or do I need 59s or 51s?

usually the toe modifiers are sufficent, but check with the payer if in doubt.
    EVELYN KIM , MBA, CPC, CRC
    Revenue Cycle Supervisor

Thanks for the reply. And I read that same advice a lot, but can anyone tell me HOW to check with the payer?? I am the first coder this office has ever had and this is also my first coding job. Apparently no one else in this office ever contacts payers. Any and all advice is appreciated.
    solocoder CPC

Quote Originally Posted by solocoder View Post
    Thanks for the reply. And I read that same advice a lot, but can anyone tell me HOW to check with the payer?? I am the first coder this office has ever had and this is also my first coding job. Apparently no one else in this office ever contacts payers. Any and all advice is appreciated.
    Some commercial payers still have provider relations reps. Call the number for providers on the insurance info and ask for that person. Otherwise, just call and start asking questions. You don't know until you try. Some of the payers also have websites you can check for codes. Google is your friend...if all else fails...bring it up at a chapter meeting and get advice from your fellow coders locally.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

I would use the 59 modifier since it is a seperate service. If it rejects then call and ask the reasoning. It is diffrent for every payer. If it is a medicare patient, they might have some guidance on your local contractors website.

Default Ingrown toenails w/subungual exostosis same digit

Would it be appropriate to code for both 11750 with removal subungual exostosis?

I have tried it using a -59 and toe modifiers, most of the time it goes through, but i do have a few that are a real pain to deal with (government payers) that like to dup the additional ones out even with the toe mods. it's going to be trial and error some times