Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Auditing as a CPC

Medical Coding Books
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my facility, auditors/educators, whose job it is to do internal documentation reviews and assist the providers with areas of opportunity, do make a slightly higher salary than do staff coders. This is because there is a real skill set in 'teaching' physicians. They earn their salary, believe me.

However, our staff coders are expected to 'audit' the E&M, surgical and diagnostic procedures to insure that the correct CPT and diagnosis code is being selected prior to claim drop. The difference for them is that they don't necessarily provide one-on-one provider instruction and feedback.

The AAPC does a salary survey each year. You might bring that to your employer as a suggestion as to what your job might be worth, particularly if they are asking for additional responsiblity to be added to your job description. I know that coder salaries vary by geographical area, but it doesn't hurt to point out what the average salary is (particularly if it is more than you currently earn). Maybe it's time for a market adjustment.
    Dover, NH 03820

I realize this was sent back in 2007 however I am wondering if there is any information regarding salaries of a Professional Coding and Audit Coordinator.

Default Cpc/Auditor
    Ive been a CPC for three years however Ive been coding and billing for about 15 years, even prior to credentialing coders, I was required to audit and educate...as very large facilities...I worked for Duke University Medical Center and had to chair meetings with Compliance Attorneys who represented the hospital all prior to earning my CPC...but as pointed out all of that extra effort went a long way with my manager and I was promoted from Coding to Manager of Goverment claims within three years....a very large jump in salary and benefits....my point is auditing will always always help you in the long run sharpen your skill set (s) and have something a little bit more to offer than a average Coder....at my present job I requested a asking salary which compensated for quarterly facility audits and staff education.....Good Luck with that Raise

3. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mdoyle53 View Post
    A raise would depend on the environment of the practice. It can never hurt to ask?

Training a MD is a delicate and different world and hence there may be some training required for the internal person that can code but has never audited or trained (this is the waive of the future with EMR). I personally do not believe an audit credential is necessary as we do have the ability to interpret and now it is necessary to use them differently.

If you need a copy of an audit template, email me as I have one that I have developed and use all the time for 1995 guidelines
    If you still have the audit tool I would love to have a copy my email is ja673@bellsouth.net.
    Thanks so much,
    Lisa Boroughs CPC

4. Default
    I would also be interested in your audit tool, Michael, please add me to your mailing list.

Mary Ann Filko
    Mafilko@gmail.com

Hi Pam. I'm a CPC, CEMC here in the Lebanon NH area. Look at learning auditing as good thing...it will make your skill set that much more valuable. Since you are here in NH, I assume NHIC is your local Medicare contractor? They have a lot of info, including an E&M Billing Guide (http://www.medicarenhic.com/ne_prov/publications.shtml). Take advantage of this info at your fingertips. In addition, here's a PowerPoint presentation on E&M from NHIC's (http://www.medicarenhic.com/ne_prov/...adeOct2010.pdf). Here's the link to an E&M Q&A session from a CMS webinar in the spring of 2009(http://www.medicarenhic.com/ne_prov/...g2009QandA.pdf). E-mail me at conleyr@apdmh.org and I can send you the audit tools as well. Hope all this info helps...

Smile
    A raise would depend on the environment of the practice. It can never hurt to ask?

Training a MD is a delicate and different world and hence there may be some training required for the internal person that can code but has never audited or trained (this is the waive of the future with EMR). I personally do not believe an audit credential is necessary as we do have the ability to interpret and now it is necessary to use them differently.

If you need a copy of an audit template, email me as I have one that I have developed and use all the time for 1995 guidelines
    Hi Michael. I would also love a copy of your E/M tool if you don't mind sending it to me.
    You can send to hbrown01@live.com

thank you

Please send a copy of your E/M tool to tintueliza1983@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rita B. Conley View Post
    Hi Pam. I'm a CPC, CEMC here in the Lebanon NH area. Look at learning auditing as good thing...it will make your skill set that much more valuable. Since you are here in NH, I assume NHIC is your local Medicare contractor? They have a lot of info, including an E&M Billing Guide (http://www.medicarenhic.com/ne_prov/publications.shtml). Take advantage of this info at your fingertips. In addition, here's a PowerPoint presentation on E&M from NHIC's (www.medicarenhic.com/ne_prov/seminars/ToolsoftheTradeOct2010.pdf). Here's the link to an E&M Q&A session from a CMS webinar in the spring of 2009(www.medicarenhic.com/ne_prov/seminars/FairSpring2009QandA.pdf). E-mail me at conleyr@apdmh.org and I can send you the audit tools as well. Hope all this info helps...

hi, I think someone named Peggy Bryant re-posted my post with my signature, and it may have looked like I had been asking a question about E&M auditing salaries, when in fact she was. Thanks for posting the guides...I think I have them memorized!
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12