The new codes bundle together pairs of removal and replacement procedures that more commonly are performed together but previously (CPT 2010 and earlier) had to be reported separately.
In my CPT 2012 Pro edition, on p.171, there is a very helpful list entitled Transvenous Procedures. Reading it, I found the following pertinent entry:
Removal pulse generator with replacement pulse generator only single lead system (transvenous)
CPT 33227 if for a Pacemaker
CPT 33252 if for an Implantable Carioverter-Defibrillator
From your description, this (33227) is the one you want to use. This table should also help you pick the proper code(s) to use as other similar procedures need to be coded.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join