I have been reading throught the other posts about punch biopsies and excisions... I need clarification on the punch biopsy, and which CPT codes to use?
Heres an example from i need to code:
1% lidocaine with epinephrine was injectioned subcutaneously around the affected area, total administered 2.5ml The mole on her abdomen measured 7x5x3 mm and was removed with Iris scissors. A 1 mm margin was also made aroudn the lesion area. Suturing was not required. The specimen was placed in formalin and sent to pathology. Antibiotic ointment and sterile dressing applied. The mole on her back measured 4x4 mm and was removed with a 5 mm punch biopsy device with difficulty. No sutures required and antbx ointment followed by sterile dressing were applied. Doctor clarified that the abdomen one was a shave biopsy..
My first hunch is to code the first part (depending on the pathology report) under the shaving of lesions... going off the total size : 11307
and for the punch biopsy of the second part 11100
Im confused if in a different scenario if there was a punch biopsy done AND the specimen was sent off to pathology... do you always use 11100 ; or do you code by excision?
Thanks for any input or advice...
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join