a biopsy is a removal of only a piece of a lesion, a punch is a tool. If a provider removes the entire lesion with a punch then it is an excision not a biopsy. A biopsy is always sent to path and an excision is always sent to path. The reason to take only a piece of a lesion is to determine the morphology, and the reason for excision is the same thing. A biopsy is more scar sparing.
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join