stand by service vs. subsequent hospital visit

Default stand by service vs. subsequent hospital visit
    Exam Training Packages
    I have a situation where a pregnant patient broke her ankle and needed surgery. One of the ob/gyn doctors was present for 1 & 1/2 during the orthopedic surgery. The question is: should I code for the standby service eventhough he did not participate in the surgery and there were no ob events during that surgery, or just code for the subsequent visit to the patient that day after that surgery was over?

Quote Originally Posted by raseb77 View Post
    I have a situation where a pregnant patient broke her ankle and needed surgery. One of the ob/gyn doctors was present for 1 & 1/2 during the orthopedic surgery. The question is: should I code for the standby service eventhough he did not participate in the surgery and there were no ob events during that surgery, or just code for the subsequent visit to the patient that day after that surgery was over?
    I believe they can both be billed because they are different types of services. The stand-by service does not involve any actual patient contact and I did not find anything that said you could not bill the subsequent hospital visit the same day since it is actual patient contact.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

Similar Threads

1. Initial Consult or Subsequent Hospital Visit??
    By cindyt in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 03:52 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2013, 01:59 PM
  3. Subsequent Hospital Visit
    By jifnif in forum E/M
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM
  4. Bronchoscopy and Subsequent Hospital Visit
    By bettze1947 in forum E/M
    Replies: 2