AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Mediastinotomy for cardiopulm bypass placement

Default Mediastinotomy for cardiopulm bypass placement

AAPC: Back to School
    My surgeon was asked to place a patient on cardiopulmonary bypass so that the primary surgeon could excise a rt renal mass with caval thrombosis extending into the rt atrium.
    My surgeon did a mediastinotomy with placing the pt on aorto atrial femoral bypass. How do I code this???? This is my first post so I hope I"ve done it correctly! Any suggestions would be most apprieciated!!

I just had to do this with my surgeon. 39010-62 was the code I used. I did not have to do a bypass though. Just looked this all up and nothing about a bypass is mentioned in the procedure. don't know if this will help you or not
    Last edited by rykin7600; 01-05-2012 at 10:10 AM.

I was going to use the 39010 but with a 66 modifier. All my surgeon did was place pt on bypass.
    Thanks for helping me feel better about my choice of code!

Central Philadelphia chapter

It sounds like your part of the procedure (mediastinotomy w/placing pt on bypass) is integral component of total procedure. I think you should have coordinated this with the primary surgeon. You should use the codes the primary surgeon uses for excising a rt renal mass with caval thrombosis extending into the rt atrium. Modifier 62 should be appended by both primary surgeons and your surgeon. Your surgeon should do a separate op-note.
    Sorry for late response.

Similar Threads

1. Perm Cath placement w/ Fistula Placement
    By kbazarte@yahoo.com in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 11:30 AM
  2. Carotid subclavian bypass with vertebral bypass
    By cmblocher in forum Cardiovascular Thoracic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 12:29 PM
  3. EGD w/clip placement and loop placement
    By busydawnis in forum Gastroenterology