newborn echoencephalography

Default newborn echoencephalography
    Medical Coding Books
    i have a doc that does echos, (76506) on premature babies. i've never coded for newborns before and i know there are specific codes. when the echo is interpreted as normal, i'm using dx codes 769 (resp distress in newborn) and 765.15 (premie) and 765.25 (wks of gest)

do i need to include a Vcode in the dx and should the premie dx be primary or should the resp distress be the primary dx?

Quote Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
    i have a doc that does echos, (76506) on premature babies. i've never coded for newborns before and i know there are specific codes. when the echo is interpreted as normal, i'm using dx codes 769 (resp distress in newborn) and 765.15 (premie) and 765.25 (wks of gest)

do i need to include a Vcode in the dx and should the premie dx be primary or should the resp distress be the primary dx?
    Why would you use respiratory distress? I don't think that will work for an echo of the head for abnormalities. The dx code should be one of the premie codes 765.10-765.19 (based on weight) if it is a normal echoencephalography. Of course if something else is found you would use the appropriate code for the condition. The V codes and the 725.65 are not listed as appropriate codes for this CPT code.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

I was also iffy about using respiratory distress, but that is the only dx code on every intro to the test result. I pulled the other codes from the ordering physician's note. All I have on the test result is usually:

Test: 2-D echoencephalography

Dx: 769

"Impression: Normal cranial ultrasound"

Thank you so much for your help.