It would be helpful to read the full guidelines
Under DATA points, the physician can get 2 points for:
Review and summarization of old reords and/or obtaining history from someone other than patient and/or discussion of case with another health care provider. (emphasis added by FTB)
That's 2 points TOTAL even if all three elements are performed. Please note the phrases/words I've emphasized. Just looking at the chart notes of the last visit wouldn't qualify - in my opinion.
On the other hand, if the documentation was something like: I obtained the records from XYZ and reviewed them, noting in particular that ABC treatment was only moderately effective. - I would probably give that credit.
As for the statement "previous Xray or MRI reviewed" ... I'd give 1 point for the "review and/or order of tests in the radiology section of CPT" If the documentation was more specific as to the physician actually looking at the images (vs possibly just looking at the radiologist's report), then I'd give 2 points.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join