Vfc vaccines

Exclamation Vfc vaccines
    Medical Coding Books
    In Sept 2011 I attended a Medicaid meeting and a question was ask about patients with private insurance and medicaid as secondary, do they receive VFC vaccines? The reply was no they should receive private vaccines and bill the primary insurance. So I spoke with the Dept. Of Health Immunization program today, because they had listed various scenerios on proper vfc use. As I was reading I came to:
    Scenario 8:
    Patients presents with private health insurance and Medicaid.
    All children who are Medicaid recipients are eligible to receive publicly funded vaccine regardless of private health insurance coverage. The provider should administer VFC vaccine and bill the administration fee to Medicaid. Medicaid will pay the administration fee and seek reimbursement from the primary insurance.

This is a complete contradiction of medicaid's statement. (I called they are out of the office today.)

What are you thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa_M View Post
    In Sept 2011 I attended a Medicaid meeting and a question was ask about patients with private insurance and medicaid as secondary, do they receive VFC vaccines? The reply was no they should receive private vaccines and bill the primary insurance. So I spoke with the Dept. Of Health Immunization program today, because they had listed various scenerios on proper vfc use. As I was reading I came to:
    Scenario 8:
    Patients presents with private health insurance and Medicaid.
    All children who are Medicaid recipients are eligible to receive publicly funded vaccine regardless of private health insurance coverage. The provider should administer VFC vaccine and bill the administration fee to Medicaid. Medicaid will pay the administration fee and seek reimbursement from the primary insurance.

This is a complete contradiction of medicaid's statement. (I called they are out of the office today.)

What are you thoughts?
    Be sure to print out a copy of what you found with the date it was released for publication. Frequently the folks answering questions in meetings have not completely reviewed all the protocols, but I would assume the information you have in writing is correct.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

Thank you. I tried calling Medicaid and of course they were closed.