Thread: Coding guidelines for neonatal feeding

Default Coding guidelines for neonatal feeding

Promo: Code Books
    I bill for the physician's services in the NICU. I am trying to find hard facts about neonate feeding guidelines. Would TPN, OG or gavage feeds alone automatically qualify a patient for a critical care code? I have always said no to this question. I have a colleague who feels otherwise but we have no docoumentation to solve this disupte. There is very little out there on Neonatal Critical Care. Please help. Thx Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by rlgast1 View Post
    I bill for the physician's services in the NICU. I am trying to find hard facts about neonate feeding guidelines. Would TPN, OG or gavage feeds alone automatically qualify a patient for a critical care code? I have always said no to this question. I have a colleague who feels otherwise but we have no docoumentation to solve this disupte. There is very little out there on Neonatal Critical Care. Please help. Thx Rebecca
    I am not sure about your scenario, but this is a definition of Critical Care from Clinical Practice Management FAQs online:

"CPT currently defines a critical illness or injury as an illness or injury that acutely impairs one or more vital organ systems such that there is a high probability of imminent or life threatening deterioration in the patient's condition.

Critical care services are defined as a physician's direct delivery of medical care for a critically ill or critically injured patient. It involves decision making of high complexity to assess, manipulate, and support vital organ system failure and/or to prevent further life threatening deterioration of the patient's condition. Examples of vital organ system failure include, but are not limited to: central nervous system failure, circulatory failure, shock, renal, hepatic, metabolic, and/or respiratory failure."
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

Did you ever find an answer to this? I'm looking for the same info-thanks!

Default Neonate Critical Care

I am looking for the documentation requirements for neonatal critical care and neonatal intensive care. Can someone direct me to the requirements? Thanks

In my division we created a list of critical/intensive indicators with the doc's to determine what is intensive and/or critical.

TPN, OG, and Gavage are intensive indicators for us as they require continuous montioring, but arent immediately life-threatening and dont constitute a deterioration of the patients condition and/or impending organ failure.

Also, this artical I found on AAPC was helpful.
    'Neonatal Care: Out with the Old, In with the New' - Feb. 1, 2009

I agree. Thank you amcvay531.
    Last edited by rlgast1; 11-14-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: adddendum to original response