I am the Coding Compliance Specialist for a multi-specialty, hospital-based provider group.
My usual routine:
1. Baseline audit all providers (10 records each; 5 new and 5 established).
I used to do everything manually using the CMS audit form (http://www.highmarkmedicareservices....eets/8985.pdf), but now use Intelicode which I find useful for reporting and creating historical data. The audit form was fine, but it requires a little extra coordination with single system and the general multi-system 97 exams.
2. Group Educate
I create specialty-specific Powerpoint presentations (often focusing on problem areas discovered during audit) that I print as handouts and do "group education" where providers can ask and learn from common questions. I will usually provide them with a sealed envelope of their audit results at this time.
3. One-on-One Education
Review of the group education and their specific audit results.
This is typically a one month re-audit cycle for the first round because it is rare that a provider is at an acceptable pass rate. My own "pass rate" is 80% accuracy or 8/10 charts. Repeat education and re-audit cycles as necessary.
I also put out a monthly coding and compliance newsletter, the TMG Coding News, which features articles targeting common documentation and coding issues as well as provides coding and coverage updates. This newsletter goes to physicians, NPPs, and billing staff.
Hope this helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join