question about blood test

1. Question question about blood test
    Medical Coding Books
    I have a question that has been raised in our office with mixed answers so we are throwing it out to get some help. A patient came in with abdominal pain and was worried she had liver disease or liver cancer. The physician ordered blood work to check her liver enzyme level and it came back elevated. She then ordered a CEA lab test to check for cancer to re assure the patient. We are trying to cover that test and the only thing remotely close is to code 790.99 other nonspecific findings on examination of the blood. But i am afraid we might be stretching to amuse that. Just from the liver test. What do y'all think? Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by egunter View Post
    I have a question that has been raised in our office with mixed answers so we are throwing it out to get some help. A patient came in with abdominal pain and was worried she had liver disease or liver cancer. The physician ordered blood work to check her liver enzyme level and it came back elevated. She then ordered a CEA lab test to check for cancer to re assure the patient. We are trying to cover that test and the only thing remotely close is to code 790.99 other nonspecific findings on examination of the blood. But i am afraid we might be stretching to amuse that. Just from the liver test. What do y'all think? Thanks for the help!
    I went to "Findings (abnormal, without diagnosis)" and then looked at "liver" the index led me to 790.6 Other Abnormal blood chemistry. If you add the abdominal pain dx code to the abnormal findings on blood chemistry, that should be enough to justify the additional testing.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC