57 vs 25

Default 57 vs 25
    Medical Coding Books
    In our office we have been adding -25 to our e/m codes when also billing fx care codes for closed treatment done in the office. Lately I have read that -57 is correct because of the 90 global for those codes. Then I read that it depends on the payer. Unfortunately, I don't know what payers want. Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by solocoder; 01-16-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    solocoder CPC

modifier 57 is typically for a decision made at the time of visit for a 90 day global period and 25 is usually for 10 day global or less.
    Jenifer McPolin CPC, CPMA, RCC

Quote Originally Posted by solocoder View Post
    In our office we have been adding -25 to our e/m codes when also billing fx care codes for closed treatment done in the office. Lately I have read that -57 is correct because of the 90 global for those codes. Then I read that it depends on the payer. Unfortunately, I don't know what payers want. Any advice is appreciated.
    It may be a case of trial and error. In general, if it is a procedure that can be done in the office, even if it has a 90 day global, I would use the 25 modifier. If after using the 25 your office visit claim is denied, then rebill using the 57 modifier.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

Thanks for the advice!
    solocoder CPC

5. Smile
    I have billed fracture codes for an orthopaedic surgeon for almost three years now and have always used the 25 modifier with no problems in the office. I use the 57 modifier for the hospital. Kathy Albert