64999 Unlisted Procedure, Nervous System
Additional Note on claim
Pulsed Radiofrequency of Facet Medial Branch nerve and DRG
a study comparing the cellular effects of conventional RF current at 67o C
and pulsed RF current at 42o C on dorsal root ganglion (DRG)
temperature 60 degrees Celsius or more
2010 guideline states that conventional (e.g., 80Â°C) or thermal (e.g., 67Â°C) radiofrequency ablation of the medial branch nerves
Question: What is the appropriate code to report for pulsed radiofrequency (PRF)?
AMA Comment: Currently, there is not a specific CPT code that accurately describes PRF.
Therefore, the unlisted code 64999, Unlisted procedure, nervous system, should be reported. It should also be noted that it is not appropriate to report Destruction by Neurolytic Agent codes 64600-64681 for PRF. When reporting an unlisted code to describe a procedure or service, it will be necessary to submit supporting documentation (eg, procedure report) along with the claim to provide an adequate description of the nature; extent; need for the procedure; and the time, effort, and equipment necessary to provide the service.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join