06-09-2017, 03:06 AM | Community Wiki

CPT codes 93306 and 93308

Default CPT codes 93306 and 93308
    Exam Training Packages
    What is the difference between 93006 echo and 93308 echo?

thanks
    Amanda

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by asteele813 View Post
    What is the difference between 93006 echo and 93308 echo?

thanks
    Amanda
    93306 is a complete transthoracic echo with Doppler and Colorflow

93308 is a followup or limited transthoracic echo ONLY( no doppler or colorflow)

And you know a limited echo is anything less then a complete which would mean all of the structures that need to be mentioned for a full echo are not. Below is what would need to be documented for a complete echo.

LV
    RV
    LA
    RA
    mitral,aortic,tricuspid valves
    pericardium
    adjacent portion of the aorta

did I miss anything?
    Theresa Dix CCS-P CPMA CCC ICDCT-CM

Thank you so much!

4. Default Limited ECHO
    Can any one tell if complete echocardiogram repeated with in 6 month what CPT code we can use

I would bill the 93306 complete echo code. Timing of the test should not matter as long as medical necessity supports it. We occasionally have patients that get frequent echoes when recovering from a PE.
    Thanks,
    Amanda Briggs, BS, CPC, CPMA, CCC, CEMC
    Coeur d'Alene, ID Chapter

6. Default 93306 and 93308
    I have a provider that sent over a limited echo charge 93308, but all the documentation states is "negative bubble study" is this enough documentation to support 93308?

If it were me, I would query the provider to amend his report for better documentation. I do not think even a limited would be sufficiently documented with just a "negative" report, and no quantification of any results listed.
    Chris Zimmerer, CPC, CCC
    New Concord, KY

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by theresa.dix@ethc.com View Post

93308 is a followup or limited transthoracic echo ONLY( no doppler or colorflow)

And you know a limited echo is anything less then a complete which would mean all of the structures that need to be mentioned for a full echo are not. Below is what would need to be documented for a complete echo.

LV
    RV
    LA
    RA
    pericardium

did I miss anything?
    Nope! it doesn't look like you did. There are 9 structures that have to be evaluated, and you named all of them

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by theresa.dix@tennova.com View Post

LV
    RV
    LA
    RA
    pericardium

did I miss anything?
    do all the structures have to be documented in the report if the provider is just interpreting the exam?

From my experience (i work in congenital heart center). You can only bill a congenital complete echo once every 12 month, unless the patient has had some sort of procedure that would of effected the anatomy of the heart. If not you can only bill a limited EVEN if a complete was performed

Can any one tell if complete echocardiogram repeated with in 6 month what CPT code we can use
    Kaylee Lamb, CPC