AAPC - Back to school

Thread: AGA Q&A regarding removal of polpsy

Default AGA Q&A regarding removal of polpsy

AAPC: Back to School
    I got these Q&A's from the AGA website, are the accurate or are these exceptions to these rules?

Can I bill multiple codes for the removal of multiple polyps using the same method of removal?

No. One method, one code. If so many polyps were removed that the procedure took significantly longer than usual, you can append the modifier 22. You must submit the procedure report as well as a statement indicating why the procedure took so much longer and how much longer it took.

If I use multiple methods to remove multiple polyps, can I bill for each method?

Yes, as long as each method was used on a different polyp. To get paid for multiple methods, you must append the modifier 59 to the codes that are bundled into one another according to the National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) edits. For example, one polyp is removed using a snare, another is removed using cold biopsy forceps. The 59 goes on the biopsy because that is the code that in bundled under NCCI.

Lauderdale Lakes

They are accurate

To use the 22 modifier, I was told the procedure should take at least 40 minutes or longer. It doesnt matter how many polyps were removed. It should take at least twice as long as a normal procedure would take in order to use the 22 modifier

Thanks, I just noticed I spelled polyp wrong opps,

Similar Threads

1. E&M with suture removal
    By N70QW in forum Family Practice
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2014, 10:34 AM
  2. Wart Removal and E&M
    By Sandra Fender in forum Pediatrics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2014, 02:03 PM
  3. E&M with wart removal
    By CBC in forum E/M