This is what I found surfing the web , not sure if its 100 % correct, but I seen this figure it might help. Trent
Q: When coding for a scalentectomy w/first rib resection, what the difference between CPT code 21615 and 21705. Would you bill both CPT codes for this procedure?
A: I am going to first address your question of what is the difference between 21615 and 21705. The codes 21615-21616 are reported for surgery where an incision is made just above the clavicle down to the rib. The rib and attached soft tissues are dissected and excised, the rib is removed. 21616 is used if the sympathetic nerve pathway is also cut he procedure.
For codes 21700-21705 the incision is made over the scalene muscle deep to the muscle. The muscle is dissected. If the cervical rib is removed code 21705 is reported.
Now, for a scalentectomy w/first rib resection, I would recommend using the 21700 to report the scalentectomy and the 21615 to report the resection of the first rib. There are no bundling issues according to CCI for the use of these two codes together. If this were a scalentectomy with cervical rib resection then 21705 would be the appropriate code and would be used alone.- was some article on internet , not sure where
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join