Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Payable visit or not?

  1. #1
    Default Payable visit or not?
    Medical Coding Books
    Pt came in to see FNP. Had IMZ (Tdap) done and lab draw for something the pt will see the MD for at the next visit.

    I want to bill 90715, V06.1 and 90471.

    Is this billable as a nursing visit (99211) or just bill for the Immunization?

    Can I also bill for the 36415, 99000 with the 272.4 if it's done by an RN?
    Heidi Thompson, CPC

  2. #2
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,087
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by hthompson View Post
    Pt came in to see FNP. Had IMZ (Tdap) done and lab draw for something the pt will see the MD for at the next visit.

    I want to bill 90715, V06.1 and 90471.

    Is this billable as a nursing visit (99211) or just bill for the Immunization?

    Can I also bill for the 36415, 99000 with the 272.4 if it's done by an RN?
    Looks like just the immunization for billing.
    Arlene J. Smith, CPC, CPMA, CEMC, COBGC

  3. #3
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by hthompson View Post
    Pt came in to see FNP. Had IMZ (Tdap) done and lab draw for something the pt will see the MD for at the next visit.

    I want to bill 90715, V06.1 and 90471.

    Is this billable as a nursing visit (99211) or just bill for the Immunization?

    Can I also bill for the 36415, 99000 with the 272.4 if it's done by an RN?
    A couple of questions:
    1. Patient's over 18? (I'm assuming so, with the lipid problem being mentioned)
    2. Who decided to order the labs, and when? The MD, or the PA? Did the MD see the patient at all, or was it a standing order?
    3. Was the MD in the office at the time?
    4. What kind of insurance is it?

    If the patient's over 18, bill the FNP's services as 90471, 90715. Do not bill a 99211.
    I'm curious about the lab - it makes it sound as though there was more to the visit than the vaccine, meaning that there may be room to bill an E/M - possibly even under the MD's name, under the right circumstances.

  4. #4
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock1 View Post
    A couple of questions:
    1. Patient's over 18? (I'm assuming so, with the lipid problem being mentioned)
    2. Who decided to order the labs, and when? The MD, or the PA? Did the MD see the patient at all, or was it a standing order?
    3. Was the MD in the office at the time?
    4. What kind of insurance is it?

    If the patient's over 18, bill the FNP's services as 90471, 90715. Do not bill a 99211.
    I'm curious about the lab - it makes it sound as though there was more to the visit than the vaccine, meaning that there may be room to bill an E/M - possibly even under the MD's name, under the right circumstances.
    Patient is over 18. Insurance is Medicaid. The lab was in preparation for a visit the following week.

    I think I'm comfortable billing for the IMZ only. Now I'm curious if I can also bill the 36415, 99000 without a 99211? That sounds better to me than trying to get a 99211 out of it, I just didn't want to throw any money away that we're entitled to. I'm just not feeling the entitlement.

    The patient DID see an FNP, no MD on site. That's how they do it in this clinic out in a remote location. MD only sees patients on a monthly basis.
    Heidi Thompson, CPC

  5. #5
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    12,843
    Default
    You cannot bill the 99211 but I am curious where is the 272.4 dx coming from? if the patient is on medication for hyperlipidemia then you would code the V58.83 and V58.69 for the 36415, if it is screening then use the V code for screening.

    Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

  6. #6
    Default
    The FNP coded the 272.4.
    Heidi Thompson, CPC

  7. #7
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    12,843
    Default
    i see, but is it correct? usually the V58.83 and V58.69 is the correct choice for labs prior to an annual exam.

    Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

  8. #8
    Default
    I understand that it's incorrect, my point is about the validity of billing for it at all. If I can't bill for the lab draw, the code doesn't matter, because it's not going anywhere

    Thanks for the info though, if I need to bill for labs.
    Heidi Thompson, CPC

  9. #9
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    12,843
    Default
    You can bill the lab draw, and it should be billed out, just not the 99211. Even if your codes were not being billed out you are sending the specimens to the lab with a req and you have the diagnosis marked on there, so it needs to be the correct one. Also since your MD is not on site you must bill using the FNP NPI in 24J and his/her signature in 31, not the MDs. You can bill the 99000 but most will not pay it.
    Last edited by mitchellde; 01-24-2012 at 09:46 AM.

    Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

  10. #10
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    You can bill the lab draw, and it should be billed out, just not the 99211. Even if your codes were not being billed out you are sending the specimens to the lab with a req and you have the diagnosis marked on there, so it needs to be the correct one. Also since your MD is not on site you must bill using the FNP NPI in 24J and his/her signature in 31, not the MDs. You can bill the 99000 but most will not pay it.
    I don't have any control over the codes that are on the lab req. It's in a remote clinic and I don't even get the billing paperwork until 2 weeks after the fact.

    On that note, if the lab draw is for hyperlipidemia, why would I code for high risk meds. I don't know whether or not the patient is on meds, as it was not stated. I've never heard of coding for medication use for a lab draw unless it was insulin, lithium, anti-coagulation therapy, or something that was explicitly stated. What references do you have to show me that I need to be coding for the V58 codes? It seems that if the reason for the lab draw is to check the levels of the medication or the effects of the drug, that it would be logical, but it doesn't seem right to bill a V58 code everytime there is a lab draw and the condition that is being looked at is given as the diagnosis. I haven't seen any guidance like that before and I've done this for 10 years full-time, so you're opening my eyes to something I've never thought of.
    Heidi Thompson, CPC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. is it payable screening for autism with preventive visit
    By cklein in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2012, 10:01 AM
  2. MCR payable dx
    By Kimberley in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 02:37 PM
  3. payable dx code
    By katymatte in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 09:17 AM
  4. payable diagnosis?
    By kattekatt in forum Pediatrics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Enjoying Our Forums?

AAPC forums are a benefit of membership. Joining AAPC grants you unlimited access, allowing you to post questions and participate with our community of over 150,000 professionals.

Join Now Continue Reading Without Full Access

Already a Member?

Login

Close Message

In addition to full participation on AAPC forums, as a member you will be able to:

  • Access to the largest healthcare job database in the world.
  • Join over 150,000 members of the healthcare network in the world.
  • Be a part of an industry leading organization that drives the business side of healthcare.
  • Save anywhere from 10%-50% with exclusive member discounts on courses, books, study materials, and conferences.
  • Access to discounts at hundreds of restaurants, travel destinations, retail stores, and service providers. AAPC members also have opportunities to save on heath, life, and liability insurance.
  • Become a member of a local chapter and attend regular meetings.