Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New codes

Medical Coding Books
    @ sharper, same applies to the 33224. You can use it if inserting to a previously placed generator.

As to the others who have conflicting information, I don't know what to tell you. However, like I said, I am going by what I know for a fact.

K Felty, CPC , CCC, CCVTC

Actually, I am going to get clarification on this for everyone on Thursday. I do see some references that state IF a lead procedure is performed during a gen change, the removal (33233, 33241) is STILL spearatley billable. These 2 codes are listed as appropriate to bill with the 33225 the add on as conjunction with. Check back on Thursday here to see what I find out. It will be in the afternoon sometime.......Kris Felty, CPC, CCC, CCVTC

Boston Scientific has a free webinar explaining in detail the new codes.

healtheconomicsandreimbursement@bsci.com

Default New codes
    Thank you to everyone for the replies.... it is very frustrating, especially when scenarios occur that don't seem to have a solution. I wonder if, whoever puts these code revisions together, thinks of every possible situation. I suspect not.
    To my mind it would be obvious to bill the appropriate one code generator change with 33225. That is what is being done but that would be too simple.
    I'll check out the Boston Scientific link anyway.
    Thanks again to everyone.

I have the power point from Boston Scientific and it does not elaborate on the LV lead with a generator change. However, I have my presentation from MedAxiom/BOCN from the Cardiology conference I attended in New Orleans a few weeks ago and they say you can still bill for the removal of the old generator and also then bill for the LV lead. I have a teleconference with McVey Associates, Terry Fletcher, tomorrow so I am going to ask her about all of this. I will post what I find out tomorrow.

Kris Felty, CPC, CCC, CCVTC

6. Default
    Please let us know what you find out at the seminar!!
    Thanks and have a great day,
    Susan

Default CPT Assistant
    I have heard a rumor that a CPT Assistant is coming out so stay tuned. It seems to be an error that they did not add 33262-33264 to the 33225. However, the CPT Errata has already been issued and this is not in there. An alternative would be to bill 33230 with 33225. The RVU's are almost identical and it should pass all the edits. Just a thought.

David Davis, CPC, CPC-H, CCC

Default New codes
    Quote Originally Posted by wspanic View Post
    I have heard a rumor that a CPT Assistant is coming out so stay tuned. It seems to be an error that they did not add 33262-33264 to the 33225. However, the CPT Errata has already been issued and this is not in there. An alternative would be to bill 33230 with 33225. The RVU's are almost identical and it should pass all the edits. Just a thought.

David Davis, CPC, CPC-H, CCC
    33230 doesn't cover the removal though. Thanks anyway. We're going to try billing the new generator change only codes with 33225 and wait to see if they get denied.

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by kfelty View Post
    Same with 33224, it can be billed as well. This you would use if attaching to previously placed generator ot defilrillator.

Ok according to a webinar I listened to here is the skinny. See what you think

Clarifications Expected
    · What if we are going from a Dual ICD to a Bivent ICD?
    · It involves a lead so not a “straight generator change”
    · We have a generator removal
    · We have an LV lead insertion
    · But we didn't put in a “system” - just added an LV lead and new generator - Now what?

Proposed Solution
    · In response to how we would bill for an LV lead insertion and the associated generator change the proposed solution:
    · Use the new generator change only codes, but then also bill for the LV insertion
    · This is a bit of an “exception” in that the procedure does involve a lead insertion – but since it does not involve a right side lead you can't use the “system” codes and then add on to those
    · If the procedure did also involve a right side lead insertion, then you would use the system insertion codes plus the LV lead

Will This Cause Problems?
    · Most likely the addition of an LV lead to the new generator change codes will experience claims issues
    · The LV lead code is not listed as adding on to the generator change out codes
    · It is anticipated that a CPT Assistant article will soon be available, there should also be comments on the HRS and ACC web sites
    · Use these resources to address claims denials
    Theresa Dix CCS-P CPMA CCC ICDCT-CM

Ok, I had my conference with Terry Fletcher today and she did say that the correction will be coming out in the CPT assistant for the new gen codes to be included in the "use in conjunction with" the LV lead placement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast