Thread: 401 essential HTN versus 402, 403, 404, 405

Unhappy 401 essential HTN versus 402, 403, 404, 405

Promo: Code Books
    Hello,

Can someone clarify this for me? In the ICD-9 book in the Hypertension section it says near the essential HTN codes:

OGCR Section I.C.7.a.1 – Assign hypertension (arterial), (essential), (systemic), (NOS), to category code 401 with appropriate fourth digit to indicate malignant (.0), benign (.1), or unspecified (.9). *Do not use either .0 malignant or .1 benign unless medical record documentation supports such a designation.

My question is does this *rule also apply to the other HTN codes 402, 403, 404, 405?

I will also post this in the E/M section...

Thank you soooo much!

Default Anyone? Please?

Quote Originally Posted by dscoder74 View Post
    Hello,

Can someone clarify this for me? In the ICD-9 book in the Hypertension section it says near the essential HTN codes:

OGCR Section I.C.7.a.1 – Assign hypertension (arterial), (essential), (systemic), (NOS), to category code 401 with appropriate fourth digit to indicate malignant (.0), benign (.1), or unspecified (.9). *Do not use either .0 malignant or .1 benign unless medical record documentation supports such a designation.

My question is does this *rule also apply to the other HTN codes 402, 403, 404, 405?

I will also post this in the E/M section...

Thank you soooo much!
    Anyone? Please?

I would say the rule (do not code as malignant or benign unless documentation specifically states such) would apply to all hypertension codes, not just 401.
    A.Dimmitt, CPC, CIRCC
    Durham, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by dimmitta View Post
    I would say the rule (do not code as malignant or benign unless documentation specifically states such) would apply to all hypertension codes, not just 401.
    Thank you so much, I posted this question on another forum and they also see it that way. Have a great evening and responding to my post!