AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Which coding software do you use?

Dover Seacoast New Hampshire

Default Which coding software do you use?

AAPC: Back to School
    We're looking at purchasing an all-inclusive coding software package to assist us with CCI edits, coding guidelines, and coverage determiniations. I've looked at Supercoder, and have a call into 3M. I'm also checking out Ingenix, Advanced MD and CodeCorrect. Up until now, we've done the manual research to verify our coding, and we have CC Master, but it's set up for facility coding.....and not particularly reliable for physician coding. We've grown so fast, I'm thinking that it might be better to utilize a comprehensive electronic solution. It has to be reliable, with good customer service. Cost is somewhat of a factor, but not the major one.

Any other programs I should look at? Any recommendations? What to stay away from?

Thanks, Pam
    Pam Brooks, MHA, CPC, PCS, COC
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Harrisburg PA

Default Software

Ingenix has Encoder Pro
    Contexo has Code it right
    AMA has Code Manager

Salt Lake City

I use encoder pro and codecorrect. I think encoder pro is easier to use but I like code correct for the NCCI tool and they have CPT assistant links that I like to use.
    Jenifer McPolin CPC, CPMA, RCC

Everett, WA

We use Encoder Pro, HAVE used Supercoder and are currently looking at the program Don Self has written. We use the deluxe package for EncoderPro which includes the Compliancy Software as well, but have yet to develop full trust in the Compliancy features. Can you take advantage of their free (or reduced fee) trial subscriptions ?
    ---Suzanne E. Byrum

SuperCoder offers a CCI Edits checker which includes Physician Fee Schedule logic. If you're looking for specialty advice, the Physician Coders include CCI checking, 5 Fee Schedules, CPT-ICD Crosswalk plus a Coding Alert. All code search items have tables, searching options, and guidelines to make the process as book like as possible.

Carmel, New York

Default 3M

We use 3M for all our hospital services and I love it - for both inpatient and outpatient. Espcially for comparisons of DRGs and APCs. Not to metion we also have the coding references package which is a godsend - Coding Clinic, CPT Assistant, Medical dictionaries, heck even Dr Z's book on interventional radiology.

We don't have a separate system for physician services - our practices use eClinicalWorks for the EMR and all the billing and coding software associated with eCW is what we use for our professional services. I believe it falls short for coding references, but management and the physicians seem like it, so it will be with us for awhile.

2016 Secretary
    Ellenville, NY Local Chapter

We use AccelaSmar through WhitePlume Technologies..works great..has all the edits and you can customize to your practice