AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Dx help

Default Dx help

AAPC: Back to School
    What Dx code are we using for a bulging disk.

pt was in mva doc says "small posterior disk bulges" cervical

cant seem to find anything

Thank You!!

I think the closest you are going to get is 722.0. Either that or the unspecified 722.91.

I go w/ 722.0
    Published in Orthopedic Coding Alert, November 2004

Question: My surgeon’s operative report says,”Mild central disk bulge at L4-5 with facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy.” Which ICD-9 code should I use for this?

Missouri Subscriber

Answer: Your best bet is code 722.10 (Displacement of thoracic or lumbar intervertebral disk without myelopathy; lumbar intervertebral disk without myelopathy). Also report 724.8 (Other symptoms referable to back) to indicate the facet hypertrophy.

The “mild central disk bulge” indicates displacement of the disk. You can assume that the physician examined a lumbar disk because he documented it at “L4-5,” and “L” indicates lumbar.

Greater Pittsburgh

Yes, I agree with cervical 722.0; and also for others I use lumbar 722.10, and thoracic 722.11.
    jdemar, CPC, CMA