AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Concussion Management

Covington, LA

Default Concussion Management

AAPC: Back to School
    Good Morning!

One of our departments purchased software called Impact to manage patients with concussions. The rep is providing the following codes 96116,96118, 96119,96120. As I am sure most of you do, we always research the codes before using them. I am trying to figure out what the most appropriate code to bill would be. The physician spends about an hour and a half using this software through a series of questions to manage concussions. When checking the local Medicare policy, concussion is not a diagnosis considered medically necessary and I interpret the policy as these codes are used to diagnosis the effects of a neurolgic disease caused by trauma. Not to evaluate a new trauma to see if it has effected the brain. If the concussion did not cause damage we are back to concussion which is not covered. Anyone coding for this procedure?

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

We've been billing 96118 and haven't had any Medicare issues because theses patients are generally school athletes. However, we have had BCBS (TN) denials and when I looked at their medical policies regarding this, I intrepreted to say that it's only payable if performed by a neuropsychologist.

Covington, LA

Thank you, Cathy! I appreciate you sharing your experience with these codes.

Similar Threads

1. Concussion- Dx help
    By kcaskey03 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2015, 08:18 PM
  2. History of concussion
    By SUEV in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2015, 05:24 PM
  3. Resolved concussion
    By erjones147 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1